Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same.
More than one person, doubtless like me,
writes in order to have no face.

Michel Foucault

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

INSPIRATION

Inspire - to fill with an animating, quickening, or exalting influence.

I think of 1996 when I recall A Time to Kill. I had just started a new job and they sent me to California to meet with an "experienced" Director to learn things first hand. I had never been to the west coast, and on the first morning I enjoyed the weather while sipping hot coffee at an outside cafe in the month of July. This is something you don't even think about doing if you live in south FLA. 

After work, without plans, he suggested a movie. Well... I thought it was kinda weird in that I had never been asked to go to a movie with another guy. He told me he wanted to see A Time to Kill. It had just been released and it was by some guy name John Grisham. Who? At the time I wasn't a big reader. I wasn't a big movie goer either, but that's another story.

I have always written poetry, music, songs, and the like. I was a musician, played in a band, and all the other things that happen in your life before life itself takes over. About eight years ago the urge to write a novel came over me. Why? Who knows. I began with writing shorts about life, my dad, and other experiences. Those stories were published by national magazines which gave me the confidence (and desire) to work on a novel.

I started A HEART LIES WITHIN US, completing it in 30 days through NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month). It was a fun venture and maybe you should try it if you want to punish yourself. :-) Afterwards, it took about three years to polish, edit, revise, polish, edit, revise, rewrite, rewrite, and rewrite. I first wrote the novel in third person. I changed it to first person, and then second, and back to first. I settled on changing POV within the story. For the most part, it was an experiment in writing and one I enjoyed very much.

Joining writing groups was also an inspiration. I did them both online and in person. Still writing is the hardest thing I have ever done but has put me on a journey--a path--where I have learned so much. One of the things I have learned is...never give up.When I started to receive rejections, I recalled John Grisham. I am not a Grisham fan, but his story is inspiring.

John Grisham BIO One day at the DeSoto County courthouse, Grisham overheard the harrowing testimony of a twelve-year-old rape victim and was inspired to start a novel exploring what would have happened if the girl’s father had murdered her assailants. Getting up at 5 a.m. every day to get in several hours of writing time before heading off to work, Grisham spent three years on A Time to Kill and finished it in 1987. Initially rejected by many publishers, it was eventually bought by Wynwood Press, who gave it a modest 5,000 copy printing and published it in June 1988.

Here is another blurb from him:
 
 

Live your dreams
Steven

1 comment:

  1. That book wasn't much of a hit until after some of his other books like "The Firm" became popular.

    ReplyDelete

Follow The Interrupted Writer by email