Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same.
More than one person, doubtless like me,
writes in order to have no face.

Michel Foucault

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

NOT A RECOMMENDED PATH TO PUBLISHING

I suppose this could be titled; "Whatever it takes" That is exactly my feeling when it comes to getting that publishing contract. We writers try time after time only to receive rejections for all of our hard work. Sleepless nights and early mornings, gallons of coffee (maybe some wine), and time away from friends and family in an attempt to receive fame and fortune which would mean, if and when we get published, our reclusiveness would be forever denied.

We are a strange bunch.

Hunched over a desk, sitting in a coffee shop, park, beach, mall...we work alone and prefer to work alone, and most of us shun the company of others so we can have the time with our thoughts, alone, to write, alone, to be...alone. And yet, the very thing we love, the thing we yearn and desire above all other things will dissipate as soon as we receive that letter of acceptance in the mail that your manuscript has been accepted. Some of us, especially those with families or jobs, go through strange routines so we can be alone. Personally, I work late (staying in my office at work) after everyone has left for some quiet time. It's one of the rare places where I can be totally alone, except for the cleaning crew every other night. Considering, like many of you, I have responsibilities outside of my writing I must tend to, one needs to be creative in order to find that alone time. One way is to lose your job, which could happen if my boss catches me writing while working, but let's keep that one to ourselves. Speaking of losing a job...now's there's a way to find yourself alone with time on your hands!

Here is a story of a young girl that gave up everything--through no choice of her own--and became published.

The article says, "Karp held tight to her laptop, however, and began writing a blog about her experiences. That generated attention that helped her land a part-time magazine internship, and eventually ink a book deal."

I can tell you this...after reading the article, her blog, etc., there is a story within the story within the story. Epxect to hear more from Brianna Karp. In the meantime, give the girl some support and buy her book:


The Girl's Guide to Homelessness

You know it's the right thing to do.


Steven

1 comment:

Follow The Interrupted Writer by email