Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same.
More than one person, doubtless like me,
writes in order to have no face.

Michel Foucault

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

SELF PUBLISH?

Not five years ago in a meeting with fellow writers, the subject of Self Publishing became a hot topic. The consensus presented regarded SP as the blight of literary society, and the general thought from “real writers” translated to the same reaction as when finding something on your shoe.

Amanda Hocking – What can one say about this young genius? She sells 9,000 books a day—self-published. For those math inhibited, at 99 cents per it comes to over $3,000,000 a year. Those sales attracted the attention of a traditional publisher and a $2 million dollar deal. I find it disheartening the publishing world is essentially full of whores. I probably shouldn’t say that. If I somehow become the next Hocking, they certainly won’t be calling me…oh wait…who cares. If I were selling 9,000 books a day without them, why would I EVER need them? Why did she sign up? Still, I congratulate Hocking on one hand, but shame her on the other for crumbling to the demands of literary society.

John Locke  – I don’t know a lot about Locke, but it seems to me he has not acquiesced principle, descending into the depths of traditional publication. Good for him! He publishes much of his work through Telemachus Press that is, for all intent and purpose, a self-publisher. He has also used iUniverse 

Still, you can’t argue with:

Every 7 seconds, 24 hours a day, a John Locke novel is downloaded somewhere in the world!

How does this happen when you are spending all of your time (or at least a considerable amount of energy) focused on getting your novel published? For one, these two write some great material and they are prolific. Locke carries nine novels under his belt. Hocking? Somewhere around sixteen novels.
I’m lucky to complete one novel. Maybe that explains why no one is calling. One trending statistic repeatedly seen is the ability to write constantly and consistently, and your “other job” is not a factor. That means no excuses, but seriously, by the end of the day I am exhausted and sometimes just want to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow The Interrupted Writer by email