Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same.
More than one person, doubtless like me,
writes in order to have no face.

Michel Foucault

Monday, July 18, 2011

DEAN KOONTZ HAS WRITERS BLOCK?

Have you been thinking about me? If you haven’t, that’s okay…no offense. Last week while watching the TV show, Sunday Morning, I enjoyed watching an interview with Dean Koontz. The shows focused on pets, their owners, and the new Dean Koontz book out about his dog.

He’s a big canine fan.

I am not here to talk about dogs, but I do share the same affection (at least we have that in common) with my Weimaraner and Beagle as the people on the show do with their pups and collection of other animals.

My observation this day was the statement Dean Koontz made about writing. There was a tour of his magnificent home and his more magnificent collection of novels—written by him. Of course, the interview was calmly shaded about animals, but the shine was evident that the issue at hand was the advertisement of his new novel. Can’t blame him. During the discussion, he said about writing:

When I am stuck, I can take a Prozac or come into this room (library) to remind me I did this once and if so, I can do it again.

What struck me was, this is not some run-of-the-mill writer…it Dean Fucking Koontz! Have you ever looked at his biography? He has sold 400,000,000 copies of his books and that figure increases by more than 17 million per year. In addition, he has watched 26 books reach the NYTBS number one slot. And he sometimes worries he can’t write.

Sure buddy.

All this points to you; the other writer. How often do we feel we can’t move forward? Of course, we can’t step into our million-dollar library with examples of our 400,000,000 copies sold or rely on the NYTBS list to motivate us, but we do have...uh…ourselves?

Yeah…that helps.

2 comments:

  1. I read his last book about dogs (maybe) Darkest Evening of the Year. What a piece of crap. It's got to be even harder when you've written a hundred books and sold billions of copies because then there's more pressure on you to come up with something. If you or I never write another book, who's going to notice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi RM! I haven't heard from you in a while. I'd have to agree with you. I think these giant writers get to a point to where they write just about anything and the fans will buy it. I think the Beatles did something like that during their height of fame with a song. Others have as well. Personally, I don't like or dislike his writing, although I have not read all his work. I did read a couple of his novels and thought...most anyone with some talent could do this. It was actually inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Follow The Interrupted Writer by email