Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same.
More than one person, doubtless like me,
writes in order to have no face.

Michel Foucault

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

50 SHADES OF EMBARRASSMENT



Okay…shoot me. After months of self debate, I have purchased my copy of 50 Shades of Grey.

What can I say?

Don't tell anyone I am reading this novel.

I am not a romance reader by any stretch, but I could no longer resist the hype surrounding this novel.

40 million copies worldwide?

Really?

It started as an E-Book?

Really?

Book rights in 37 countries? The fastest-selling paperback of all time?

Surpassing Harry Potter?

Blasphemy!

Chapter 3 is around the corner. I like the style of the writer; quick, witty, moves the story, and it's clean prose. At least, I believe, she is better than that vampire girl, Stephanie. I suffered horribly through Twilight, but then…I’m not a 14 year old girl.

I have met Mr. Grey and Anastasia Steele seems a doofus, but I picture a pretty lady. I am noticing what seem "romance novel character names", but story trending, arcs, surprises, seem plausible...although there are a lot of blondes.


2 comments:

  1. Gawd, Twilight was so awful. I don't know anyone could tolerate it. Really if I were going to read this I'd have to get it free somehow--or have someone pay me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I bought it used. I couldn't see paying full price. So far, it is interesting. You know how all the "experts" tell you that all you need to tag is, he said/she said if anything at all? Well, James takes great pleasure with breaking that rule. With that, and seeing how this novel flew off the shelf, I had to dig into the style of the writer.

    ReplyDelete

Follow The Interrupted Writer by email